The Relationship among Intrinsic/Extrinsic Motivation and Interest Toward L2 Writing Performance at Higher Education

Sabarun, Sabarun and Nurbatra, Laela Hikmah and Qamariah, Zaitun and Widiastuty, Hesty and El-Muslimah, Aisyah Hafshah Saffura (2020) The Relationship among Intrinsic/Extrinsic Motivation and Interest Toward L2 Writing Performance at Higher Education. Elementary Education Online, 20 (5). pp. 60-68. ISSN 1305-3515

[img] Text
NASKAH EEO 2020 VOL 19 ISSUE 2, 60-68.pdf

Download (465kB)
Official URL:


The study investigated the relationship among intrinsic (x1) and extrinsic motivation (x2) and
interest (x3) toward learners’writing performance (y) at higher education.A self-developed likert scale questionnaire of 45 items was used for collecting data. The participantswere 55 learners majoring in English at IAIN Palangka Raya. A pilot study was given to 15 participants showing the Cronbach alpha value as 0.87 indicating that quetionnaire was in a good reliability. The data were analysed using multiple linier regression. The finding revealed that the r value was0.908 (very high correlation) and the F test was 80.073, p= 0.000< 0.05. This indicated a positive significant correlation of intrinsic/ extrinsic motivation and interest simultaneously to the learners’ writing performance. It meant that learners who had high intrinsic/ extrinsic motivation and interest tent to achieve better on their writing performance. TheR Square was 0.825 or 82.5%. It indicated the contribution of all indipendent variables to the writing performance was 82.5%. The rest (17.5%) was influenced by other variables out of the investigation. In addition, the t value forextrinsic motivation was 5.384 p=0.000; extrinsic motivation was 2.067, p=0.044. ;and interest was 3.594, p=0.001 < 0.05. It meant that artially each variable gave a significant correlation to writing performance. Partially, the contribution of intrinsic motivation (47.60%), extrinsic motivation (11.63%), and interest (23.37%). It was recommended that during writing class, teachers gavemore stimulus to motivate the learners’ interest in writing.

Item Type: Journal Article
Subjects: 20 LANGUAGE, COMMUNICATION AND CULTURE > 2003 Language Studies > 200302 English Language
Divisions: Fakultas Tarbiyah dan Ilmu Keguruan > Jurusan Pendidikan Bahasa > Program Studi Pendidikan Bahasa Inggris
Depositing User: usman usman usman
Date Deposited: 15 Feb 2021 02:57
Last Modified: 15 Feb 2021 02:57

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item